Monday, April 1, 2013

Fashion: Mix & Match- Vintage, Modern, Designer and well Cheap

One thing that you must know about me is that I love, clothes, shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes, more shoes and bags...another thing you must know about me is that I despise shopping.  Although I lack the 'girl' mall shopping gene I still, however, have the other half of the 'girl' gene and purchase (what I deem) fashionable (and many times pricey luxury) items.  So with that being said I am here to encourage the girl in you, and save a little here and there so that you can splurge in other more important areas...such as foot gear...did I mention I love shoes?!

I am one to hunt for bargains in the comfort of my own home, searching the web while holding a 7 month old and/or nursing him at the same time (as I am doing at this very moment) -technically you only need 1 hand to type....

....ok moving along.  I am not overly religious but yesterday was Easter Sunday and since (technically speaking) I am Roman Catholic I decided to be 'good' and go to church (I am happy to report that I nor the ones that accompanied me burst into flames upon entering the house of God- always a good sign).  I choose the lady attire keeping in mind how my mom recalled that as a child every Sunday the women of her small home town (no matter how rich or poor) dressed their best, especially on Sundays.  Every class proudly wore lovely pressed dresses, did their hair as if they were attending the Oscars.  Used such constraints as pointy bras (he he- those were terribly distracting I'm sure) and tight gurdles!  Adorned their noggins with fascinators or hats, used matching gloves and shoes and always wore silk stockings. 

Well sorry mom!!! Times have changed and evolved, as have trends.  But you know what doesn't go out of style (like ever!- yes I am a Valley girl) GOOD MANNERS, GOOD SHOPPING SENSE AND GREAT STYLE...

 
 
So I used a few bits and pieces of what I was told during my childhood to put together my ensemble.  No stockings or gloves, no pointy bra and definately NO gurdle, but still fashionable.  Both my daughter and I wore similar eyelet dresses that cost less than $15.00 each.  We both wore 1940's-50's vintage 'head gear' that cost less than $5.00 each (gotta love ebay auctions- but you have to KNOW what you are buying).  Her's was a taffetta and fur fascinator with mesh, while mine was a velvet hat adorned with fabric leaves.  We both wore designer shoes; she picked Manolo Blahnik polka dotted fabric flats while I troted in my Casadei ostrich embossed leather/satin combo strappy high heal sandals.  She did not carry a bag, but I chose one of my favorites!  A Judith Leiber classic leather bag (she's better known for her animal shaped Austrian crystal bags but the leather varieties are a must see, and more affordable)....notice I'm not adding the designer prices for fear that the 'man' may find out how much I really paid for these...but you know what, sorry Boo Boo I earned these so DRUM ROLL PLEASE and Boo hold on to a hand rail or something stable: My shoes cost around $600ish, Nini's cost around $500ish and my bag well, hmm, ok somewhere around $800ish.  In my defense I have owned all 3 items for over 4 years now...and they are as good as new after being lovingly used.  Which brings me to the point I am trying to make.
 
  Clothes change in style more, so frankly I don't recommend paying too much for them because they wont go well past a season (unless you repurpose them).  The shoes and bags I pocess although pricey I have owned for a LLOONGG time proving that quality has longevity with a price tag so they are highly justified! Another point, if you wear cheap shoes not only can you ruin your feet, man made materials such as vinyl make your feet well, uh stink...for the lack of a better word and that is well yuckity, yuk, yuk and did I say ewwww.  Not to mention your posture improves with a good quality shoe...no really, it does.  They are made better and with high quality materials, therefore, are very comfortable.  I dare you to compare a designer shoe vs. cheap swapmeet acrylic hooker shoes...yes, I said it, hooker shoes!  Look seriously, no joke..I have a pair of black Charles Jourdan Mary Janes that are over 10 years old and they are still in close to prestine condition (the sole was redone once).  So yes, absolutely, the high price tag is more than justified.
 
The thing is that the $15.00 dress now looks like a million bucks because I paired it well...How do I know I made the right fashion choice?  Well, as if the compliments from a couple of fellow parishioners wasn't enough we also received a compliment from my usually silent, no comment, thirteen year old son...he said mom and sister were looking good!  

 
So get fashionable and help me bring back that Sunday Best look to the masses and the masses...and to the guy (I cannot find it in my heart to call him gentlemen) that took communion at Saint Ferdinands Parish, word of advise; wearing a t-shirt that says I <3 TACOS is crass and inappropriate for church.....geez
 
Ok ladies (and gents) take the challenge, splurge on one designer piece, pair it with a pair of Levis or an inexpensive dress and you will give those Hollywood stars a run for their money!

#fashion   #sundaybest

No comments:

Post a Comment